Do you have tapes stacked on your cupboard with important old data waiting to be made functional for present-day use?
You are not the only one!
But most of the time, those old data go to wastage just because nobody knows how one can transfer tape data to the hard drive.
By the end of this article, you can learn how to transfer your tape data to HDD. In this article, you will come across the following topics:
- What is a tape drive?
- Is it possible to transfer tape data to the hard drive?
- Why do tape backup data fail to recover?
- How to transfer tape data to the hard drive?
- What is Stellar’s process for transferring tape data to the hard drive?
- Why choose Stellar data recovery service?
What is a tape drive?
A tape drive is a magnetic strip used to store data since the 1950s.
These drives are stable and durable, even today, as the magnetic tapes used in the tape drive store the data physically on the tapes themselves.
Since they are written onto magnetic components of the tape drive, they can be stored and archived offline.
Is it possible to transfer tape data to the hard drive?
Until or unless it has no logical corruption or physical damage happened to it, it is possible to transfer tape data to the hard drive.
For example, if the magnetic coating of the tape, the layer that contains the data, or the supporting layers are physically damaged, it will be impossible to transfer tape data to the hard drive.
Also, it will be impossible to transfer tape data to the hard drive if the tape media gets corrupted. In such a case, you will get error messages like “Cannot read media header, may not be NetBackup media or is corrupted” when you try to restore data from the tape.
Why do tape backup data fail to recover?
Though tape backups are reliable in more than one way, transferring tape data to the hard drive can be a challenging task. Let’s see why:
- Tape drive failures happen when reused: When the same tape is used repeatedly without changing or rotating the tape drive, it will likely get damaged, making it impossible to transfer data.
- Stored in a damaging atmosphere: If the tape drive is stored in a room that is too humid or too dry, it can get damaged due to moisture, dust, or heat.
- When the right tape data restoration software is not used for backup: Different third-party tape Backup & Restore software are obtainable for the backup of the tape data in the market. The restoration process will fail if you use backup software instead of recovery software.
- Wrong sequence or placement of tape drives: The series of tape drives plays a crucial role while restoring the data. If the tape drive’s order or position is wrong, restoring or transferring tape data to the hard drive will be impossible.
- Malfunctioning tape drive: A tape library is an automated system for holding, recovering, and reading from tape drives. Moving the tape data to a hard drive fails if the tape library with more than one tape drive malfunctions.
How to transfer tape data to the hard drive?
When you come to a standstill in recovering tape data for different reasons, hold on before losing complete hope and seek the help of a tape data recovery service like Stellar to transfer tape data to the hard drive.
Stellar data recovery provides data recovery services where they use cutting-edge technology to recover data from tape drives in any situation.
Whether the data loss is due to twisted tape media, configuration issues, failed tape libraries, broken media, internal cartridge mechanism failure, dust, chemical, or moisture-caused damage to tape media, Stellar can be the best for your service.
Stellar guarantees to transfer tape data to HDD from a diverse range of tape storages, like DDS 3, QIC, DAT, Mammoth 2, LTO-1 to LTO-9, Super DLT, SAIT, and others.
What is Stellar’s process for transferring tape data to the hard drive?
- Correct the physical damages using a tape media, such as sticky tape or broken ribbon, using a suitable technique.
- Employ advanced mechanisms to clear blocks and make an image file of the data to be recovered.
- Examine the image file
- Customize the data recovery software and utilize it to separate the tape data from the image file.
- Move the separated data to a hard drive by using the right tools.
Why choose Stellar data recovery service?
- Stellar is India’s only service provider providing Tape Data Migration, Recovery, & Data conversion services.
- They have been working in the data recovery domain for the last 25 years.
- They are equipped with proprietary software tools that operate unassisted of backup infrastructure/software.
- They have a strict security policy where your tape data will be safe, secure, and confidential.
- It is an ISO 9001 & ISO 27001 certified service organization.